Monday, August 4, 2008

Myth Busting #1 How do you get better at climbing hills

The funniest thing I have heard in quite a while in an excellent myth that tends to persist is the famous question and answer:


Q: How do you get better at climbing hills?

A: Climb more hills.



Good answer but it's wrong. The actual answer is lose weight or increase watts. The only thing that matters is getting the watts/kg ratio to your advantage. The only ways this can happen is to lose weight or increase watt output. While climbing hills may cause both to happen climbing hills is not what is most important in the equation.



Take for evidence Christian Vandevelde who finished 5th in the Tour de France this year.http://forums.bicycling.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/632104717/m/4801037115. He trains by watts and puts out plenty. Additionally he has no weight to lose so the ratios are as clean as they can be. He averaged 470 watts in the Tour de Georgia time trial. Since he normally weighs 68kg that's a 6.9 watt/kg average. Floyd Landis averaged 232 watts over the 2005 TdF which is 3.41 watts per kg average over the entire race (not 20 min but for 2100 miles). Here's the chart.





If you can't produce 3.76 watt/kg then you won't be on the podium unless all the fast people stay home. Watts/kg is all that matters when you get into the hills. Gross watts matter significantly on the flats but the hills are the equalizer.



Here's an example. I currently weigh about 255 (116kg) and my wife weighs 145 (65kg). We go for a ride. She is putting out 100 watts which is 1.53 watt/kg. To match her output I need to put out 177 watts. I need 56% more output to be even. This is why she drops me in the hills. I can't climb at the same output she can because I'm too heavy. However on the flats I put out 300+ watts (2.58 watts/kg) and drop her like she's hot. Her output at 2.58 watts/kg is only 175.44 to keep up with me on the flats she needs 4.41watt/kg which would make her a solid Cat.1. Since she can't produce that kind of power she can't hang on the flats. This is why clydes/athenas are at an advantage on the flats where gravity is not punching you in the face. If you fall into this category you should choose your races carefully and do the ones where you can shine. Skip IMLP and go to IMFL etc...



This really no different than comparing my Father in laws 2500 pickup against my Yaris. My yaris will kill his truck in the hills but on the flats he would have way more power. However since my Yaris has a significantly better weight to power ratio I would still win because I can produce an equal or better output given my weight.



Don't bother climbing hills if you aren't going to change the ratio. Build it on the flats, lose the weight and the hills will come to you. Do the math and if you can get on the computrainer, powertap, ergomo or something similar you can likely figure out where you are on the spectrum. Knowledge is most of the battle.

No comments: